City Council had a very long day Dec 10.
The Committee of the Whole started at 9AM and ended after 2PM. This in spite of one of the four delegations not appearing. Two of the delegations were organizations (Museum and Art Gallery) that receive funding from the city and give quarterly updates.
The gallery was full for most of the meeting.
- REGISTERED PETITIONS AND DELEGATIONS
- Gallery 2 – Quarterly Report presentation
- Boundary Museum – Quarterly Report presentation
- Community Futures Boundary – Presentation regarding 2018 Events
- Selkirk College and The University of Victoria – appeared in evening meeting
- RDKB – Aquatic Center Requisition Increase
- PRESENTATIONS FROM STAFF
- Economic Recovery Initiative – CAO and Urban Systems
- Question about hangar space availability at the airport
- 2019 Financial Plan Workshops
- DVP application re parking for a proposed supportive residential housing development at 7382 – 2nd St
- Verbal Update on Preparations for 2019 Freshet Season
- Recovery Housing Plan Update
- Monthly Highlight Reports
- QUESTION PERIOD FROM THE PUBLIC
The Regular meeting at 7PM took less time than the morning meeting.
- Selkirk College and The University of Victoria Outreach
- COUNCIL REPORTS
- RDKB REPORT
- RECOMMENDATIONS FROM STAFF FOR DECISIONS
- Policy 805 – exception for Technology Items
- Solar Now Project Budget Amendment
- INFO ITEMS
- Grand Forks International Baseball Tournament Society
- Grand Forks Community Christmas Dinner
- Grand Forks Seniors Society
- Downtown Business Association
- Quarter 3 Financial Report
- LATE ITEMS
- Aquatic Center Requisition Increase
- FRESHET PREP FUND
- QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC AND THE MEDIA
The GFI issued a statement Wednesday to announce this year’s GFI tournament is cancelled. That statement follows.
After much thoughtful consideration and discussion with stakeholders, the Grand Forks International Committee is saddened to make the difficult decision to Cancel this year’s Grand Forks International Baseball Tournament scheduled for June 26-July 2, 2018.
The impact of recent flooding has rendered business and accommodations damaged or destroyed, has depleted the necessary volunteer base required to operate the tournament, and has generally devastated the community to a point where it is impossible to move forward with this event for 2018. There is too much uncertainty in the coming few months to make commitments to travelling teams or to allow us to entertain holding any kind of successful event due to these logistical challenges facing us as a whole.
We are thankful to the City of Grand Forks and Provincial departments, the RCMP, the Canadian Armed Forces and especially all the volunteers of this great community that are working around the clock to help the City rebuild.
The City will rebound and be stronger than ever, and so will the GFI. The 37th tournament will return June 25-July 1, 2019 and we look forward to bringing you this wonderful event at that time.
Stay Strong Grand Forks!
Yours in Baseball,
Steve Boutang – Tournament Co-ordinator
For more information please contact Tournament Co-Ordinator Steve Boutang at email@example.com or 250-919-4754, or Janice Strukoff – Director, Grand Forks International Society 2001 at firstname.lastname@example.org or 250.442.6648.
The Grand Forks International Baseball tournament is taking place this week. Beginning on Tuesday and running until Sunday.
We’re helping broadcast the games on the world wide web and you can watch them in the playlist below. Due to technical glitches the audio in the first 7 games is so bad it’s essentially useless at best and painful at worst. This was fixed part way through game 8.
The stream broke in Game 4 so it is in two pieces. Only a minute or two was missed.
Below that we have another playlist with interviews with some of the people who make this happen.