Mike Farnsworth, Provincial Minister for Public Safety and Solicitor General of British Columbia was in Grand Forks today (May 13). He got a lot of information pushed at him in a very short time and was shown the scope of the disaster up close.
At 3:30PM he showed up for the press in front of the Grand Forks Fire hall. Also there were the Mayor Konrad, RDKB Chair Russell along with others. National News networks were present as well.
The gist of it is an assurance that the province has our back and once the disaster has completed they will be able to properly assess the scope of the damage and better predict the losses. After that they will be able to come up a budget for Disaster Financial Assistance. Yes there will be financial assistance coming . . . just not a for a week or two. He also said that Premier Horgan has been on the phone with Prime Minister Trudeau letting him know what a disaster we’re going through.
The Mayor also appeared and spoke. In conversation afterwards I found out that he had ‘pulled the trigger’ on calling this an official disaster days ago. In all the busyness of the disaster most had no information that that step had been taken . . . but now we know.
Gregg Anderson and I attended and recorded as well as live webcast it to Facebook. You can watch that below.
The facebook live stream has commentary supplied during and later by citizens. If you’re curious what they said follow the link below.