The Boundary Flood Recovery Public Update for Dec 13 took place at the River Valley Community Church at 6PM.
If you’ve been to the Welcome Centre at the Lake you can’t have missed the floor. The 3D floor that entices visitors to stand in just the right place with their camera to catch their friends and family appearing in a 3D landscape that apparently pops out of the 2D floor.
Well they have replaced that floor with a new 3D floor. This new floor covers a larger area and extends up onto the wall. The official reveal was early in the evening of Dec 10th, 2018.
The artwork is done in the style called Trompe l’oeil which means the triumph of the oil’s deception over the eye. Most widely used to ‘open up’ architectural spaces it can also be employed in 3D illusion as is done here.
The artist is Tyler Toews who does mural installations professionally through his website canadianmurals.com. The previous floor was also done by him.
Before all the people showed up for the official reveal Tyler took Director Grace McGregor on a guided tour of his creation. You can watch that below.
The official reveal took place shortly afterward. Quite a few people showed up to listen and watch the ribbon cutting.
One week after Parliamentary Secretary Rice came to town to announce the support program for Small Business and Non-Profits the Red Cross held an information session about it. This was late in the afternoon / early in the evening of the same day as city council so my attendance was not possible. But I was able to get someone to take one of my cameras down and record it.
City Council had a very long day Dec 10.
The Committee of the Whole started at 9AM and ended after 2PM. This in spite of one of the four delegations not appearing. Two of the delegations were organizations (Museum and Art Gallery) that receive funding from the city and give quarterly updates.
The gallery was full for most of the meeting.
- REGISTERED PETITIONS AND DELEGATIONS
- Gallery 2 – Quarterly Report presentation
- Boundary Museum – Quarterly Report presentation
- Community Futures Boundary – Presentation regarding 2018 Events
- Selkirk College and The University of Victoria – appeared in evening meeting
- RDKB – Aquatic Center Requisition Increase
- PRESENTATIONS FROM STAFF
- Economic Recovery Initiative – CAO and Urban Systems
- Question about hangar space availability at the airport
- 2019 Financial Plan Workshops
- DVP application re parking for a proposed supportive residential housing development at 7382 – 2nd St
- Verbal Update on Preparations for 2019 Freshet Season
- Recovery Housing Plan Update
- Monthly Highlight Reports
- QUESTION PERIOD FROM THE PUBLIC
The Regular meeting at 7PM took less time than the morning meeting.
- Selkirk College and The University of Victoria Outreach
- COUNCIL REPORTS
- RDKB REPORT
- RECOMMENDATIONS FROM STAFF FOR DECISIONS
- Policy 805 – exception for Technology Items
- Solar Now Project Budget Amendment
- INFO ITEMS
- Grand Forks International Baseball Tournament Society
- Grand Forks Community Christmas Dinner
- Grand Forks Seniors Society
- Downtown Business Association
- Quarter 3 Financial Report
- LATE ITEMS
- Aquatic Center Requisition Increase
- FRESHET PREP FUND
- QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC AND THE MEDIA